Zinnia, Queen Lime, Zinnia elegans – 25 seeds avg
This unique zinnia a must for bouquets. Most are fully double or semi-double blooms.
Be sure to read ‘Growing Great Zinnias’ by Lisa Mason Ziegler.
- Full sun.
- Warm-season annual.
- Start seeds indoors 2-3 weeks before planting date or cast seeds directly in the garden. Cover seed with ¼” of soil; allow 2-7 days to germinate. Space 9-12” apart in the garden, grows to 28” tall. Pinch when 8″ tall to establish a more robust branching plant. 75-90 days to bloom.
- Harvest when flowers are fully open, they will not open any further after cut.
- Make the first harvest cut above the bottom two side shoots, this establishes a branching habit for the season.
- Make future cuts at the base of the stem.
- Excellent cut flower or in the landscape, attracts butterflies, birds, hummingbirds, and beneficial bugs, and drought tolerant.
- Keep the Blooms Coming: Harvest blooms for cut flowers just as the little yellow flowers (stamens) develop in the center. Make the harvest cut at the base of the stem.