Gourd, Harvest Wings, Cucurbita Pepo ovifera 25 seeds
This plant produces a great mix of small gourds in several colors and shapes. The vine performs best grown on a trellis.
- Full sun.
- 10-12′ vine
- Summer annual.
- Start indoors or plant directly in the garden.
- Plant in the garden after last danger of frost has past and the soil has begun to warm, typically a couple of weeks after the last frost date.
- Cover seed; 5-7 days to germinate.
- Drought tolerant.
- Harvest fruit when fully mature but before frost.
- Livestock or cattle panels, ours are 4’ W x 16’ L.
- Strong stakes 4’ or so long, 2-3 stakes per side of panel.
- Heavy-duty cable ties to secure panels to stakes.
- Sledge hammer.
Drive 2-3 stakes into the ground on each side of the proposed tunnel. Bend the flexible panel and place it in between the stakes. Cable tie the panel to the stakes. If building a multi-panel tunnel, cable tie the panels together as well.
We made raised beds that run along the outside edge of both sides of the tunnel. Mulch the inside of the tunnel deeply and plant on the outside edge.
We’ve grown gourds, cucumbers, squash, and small size cantaloupes with great success. Enjoy!